Linking the Past to the Present
Canadian Connection: a challenge for the Rug Hooking Guild of Newfoundland and Labrador
Cupids 400 Wall Handing, 56" x 40", varioius cuts of wool and woll yarn on Scottish burlap. Designed and hooked by members of the Rug Hooking Guild of Newfoundland.
The year 2010 marked the 400th anniversary of the first official English settlement in Canada. Founded in 1610 by John Guy, Cupids is located on the Island of Newfoundland and is one of Canada's easternmost towns. To help celebrate and create a visible link from Cupids's past to its future, the Rug Hooking Guild of Newfoundland and Labrador (RHGNL) created a multi-artist hooked wall hanging. These 10 original designs portray colorful vignettes depicting the historic narrative of the town.
This article is from the January/February 2011 issue. For more information on our issues, check out our issues page.
Read NextPrimitive Snowman Star